So it looks like we have another electric skateboard kickstarter project. What’s that at least 4 this year ?
RedRock Boardshop is looking to raise an ambitions $100,000 and with 3 days left and $88000 shy it doesn’t look like taking off which is a shame. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redrockboardshop/fully-customizable-electric-skateboard-w-the-lagra
So what are they offering. “Universal Motorized Skateboard Truck” which is an awesome idea and something that personally I’m looking for however at $300 for one truck its priced about 4 times what I think is reasonable and obviously so does the market.
Basically what we’re talking about is taking an existing truck and welding a mounting bracket onto it. Now you have to machine the bracket and you need a tig welder to weld the aluminium but $300 seems a little steep (considering you can get buy some 2 x Randal 180’s for about $60) or a cheap electric truck on ebay for about $75. or even buy a cheap chinese made electric skateboard for $500
In saying that I like the idea of a good quality truck to do your own thing with. And its exactly what I’ve been looking for but not at that price point.
Now this kickstarter has a bewildering array of options to back but some of the other components for a complete board include:
Mumba motor speed controller (120A): $165
Surf Rodz Model RKP 10-mm precision front truck: $100 ($200 for two, why on earth anyone would pick such an expense truck is beyond me)
Dregs ‘Luv Yo Mutha’ 76mm soy-compound wheels: $80
Batteries 10Ah: $200
Motor 3200 watt: about $100 (which is an absolute beast and can’t find on hobbyking )
Total (excluding the ridiculous $300 for the truck mount): $765
Kickstart price: $1188
As I said I like the idea of buying a truck and drive train but not at that price. So where did this kickstart fall down.
- Well to start with boosted boards just finished a kickstart raising over $200,000 for a similar price electric skateboard. Pretty much wrapping up the worldwide demand for $1000+ electric skateboards from male hipsters with to much discretional income less than a month ago. Unlucky/poor timing
- Boosted’s video was much much pretty – See the latest valuation of pintrest for why this is important
- Boosted got mass tech media coverage (techcrunch, engadget)
- Boosted pitched it as “alternative transport” (for the PR reason above)
- LeGrange has a confusing array of kickstarter options
In short poor marketing
UPDATE: More photos and information on silverfish longboard site http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/The_LaGrange_Electric_Longboard_Truck