After the electronic arrived the week and the new motor cog on I finally got all the parts together and I got ti moving. I’ve made the motor mount holes a little larger so I can try and pull the belt tighter.

IMAG0268IMAG0267

I didn’t have any good straps to hold everything onto the board so I just stapled in some zip ties.  Its not fantastic but it held for the ride.

IMAG0272

 

The Electronics

The electronic speed controller came with no connectors attached just raw wire. So I had to run out to the hobby store to grab some connectors.

The motor had banana clips which was fine. However, the battery came with a clip that the hobby store didn’t have. So I had to cut off the existing connectors and solder on some heavy duty gold plate version and used heat shrink to insulate.

Now I was talking to the hobby guy about why there isn’t any standard connectors in the hobby industry. It turns out there are 20 “standard” connectors styles so I guess that means there are none so keep that in mind when buying your RC parts.

 

I also forgot a battery charger and some 8xAA batteries for the controller (they should have been pretty obvious right)

IMAG0262IMAG0263

$80 charger

$18 connectors

Solder: $2

Heat shrink wrap: $4

8 x AA batteries:  $12

The motor cog

The hobby store had previous provided me with a plastic cog without grub screws to screw it into the motor shaft so I needed a new one. They only had a 6mm whole and my motor shaft was 8mm. So out with the drill again. I drilled 6.5mm, 7mm, 7.5mm then finally 8mm. This was far from ideal but it worked in the end.

New cog: $22.45 (including postage)

 

Test run

So I got it moving. Test run to be continued……………

 

One thing however, the

 

Share This